Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Power out in Pune

In Pune, and the power's out - or at least a fuse is blown / circuit breaker tripped on my floor of the guesthouse, since everyone else seems to have power. Add to that I have only one bar on my cell phone, so I think I'll have a very pretty cell-phone sized brick to carry around with me tomorrow morning. This also means I have one bar's worth of time to get this post out. Let's see if I can make it.
Pune is an important IT hub for India - all the majors are here, Infosys, Patni, and a dozen other outsourcing firms. Try googling Infosys and Pune, and you'll see some interesting architecture in that company's IT park here.
I mentioned earlier that India was pretty hard on the senses - Thankfully Pune by contrast is quite livable, boasting a much more even dist
ribution of wealth and quality of life than Mumbai. There is a well known ashram (like a temple+school) called Osho Ashram. It caters particularly to foreigners. Its late leader was known as a "sex guru", touting tantric sex as a key to enlightenment. The members all dress in maroon robes by day, and white robes by night. I toured the ashram this morning (no tantric sex), and they have all kinds of courses on different kinds of meditation. The grounds are beautiful and relaxing, and if the whole cult aspect of things didn't bug me, it might be cool to learn/participate in some Tai Chi.
I think I'll hold out for another cult, or as a few people close to me suggested, start my own! ;)

No comments: