Monday, September 29, 2008

Dong Guan

This is a bird's eye view of a landscape in Dong Guan just north of Shenzhen. Dong Guan is developing quickly, rapidly resembling it's SEZ neighbor to the south. I'm also experimenting with this kind of on the fly post as a different medium for communicating than the standard blog post.
To recap the last post on milk, I've talked to some more locals, and it seems Chinese around here are reasonably hip to the propensity for corporate greed, but place less blame on government culpability in the problem than Western newspapers. One person understood my tack in questioning, and in turn was convincing me that people have a lot of freedom of speech in general even on political topics, certainly much more than in the past. Looking from their eyes, if the large American milk company Lucerne started giving people food poisoning, I would much sooner blame the company than draw the conclusion that the multi party system had to be overhauled, essentially the analog of some Western newspapers' arguments on the recent scandal. It's easy for me to realize, however, that such a scandal in the US would become easy fodder for political mud slinging in an election based on multiple parties, and would probably result in some positive action to improve food regulation. Personally, I think it would be nice if we had more than two parties to choose between every election cycle. Maybe some problems result from a strictly two party system that, just as with the Chinese, aren't so obvious to us either. Like them, I don't think we'll soon see commentary in our popular press on the topic. I don't know why.

No comments: